Thursday, January 05, 2006

Diva Alert!

Hello all! Long time, no write, huh? Well, I have some news I thought I'd share: I auditioned for the Toledo Opera yesterday and got in!! I had auditioned a few years ago and got "wait listed" but this time, I was accepted outright. The artistic director, Renay, told me she'd love for me to be a part of their spring season because: 1. she liked my voice and 2. she said I'd look good on stage. LOL! She also said she taught private lessons for a few select people. She's very busy with all the opera productions so she only takes on a few students at a time, but she said she'd be willing to take me if I was interested in lessons. I definitely need lessons again because it's been so long since I had them or sang with any major choral groups. (You know how singing is like exercizing: You gotta do it regularly or you'll get out of shape. And, boy am I in need of a workout!) Well, anyway, rehearsals for the opera gala begin this Sunday at 6 pm, so I'll just be jumping right in. The performance will take place at the Toledo Museum of Art on Feb. 11 in the Peristyle. It'll be an all-Wagner concert featuring the chorus and Toledo Symphony. The next prodcution will be the opera "I Pagliacci" which will be performed in early April at the Valentine theatre. So, everyone mark your calendars and reserve your seats at the box office! In other news, my Broey has been quite ill lately. The last week of December, he was so bad we didn't think he'd live to see New Year's. He stopped eating and drinking and looked so frail and weak he could barely walk. When we took him the to vet, Dr. Martin said his appetite loss is all due to his kidney failure. He gave us some mushy nutrient-rich food that we have to force-feed to him with syringes. That helped perk him up a bit. He finally started eating again on his own, but we still have to give him the special food because it will keep his kidneys from having to work so hard. Basically, it's all comfort measures from here on out. Eventually, it will be fatal to him, but I'll be doing everything I can to prolong that as long as possible. He's my Bubby and my best friend of 17 years now! Kirby has decided she likes his special food, so now she scratches and claws at my legs whenever I prepare the syringe. Then, she'll all but force her face into Broey's mouth trying to get to it! I'll let her lick the spoon and maybe a little morsel or two, but it's too expensive to let her eat much more than that. I spent New Year's Eve in south Florida with Alvy this year. I flew from Detroit to Lauderdale at 7 am Dec. 29th, and came back at 8 am on the 1st. It was a bitch of a flight to catch! But, it was the cheapest fare I could find....undoubtedly for a good reason! I've already posted some pictures on my yahoo photo album along with several new pet pics. While in Florida, I checked out several different apartment complexes. Most of them that say they allow pets actually only allow up to 2 per apartment. So much for these "pet friendly" communities. A couple said they would work with me and my 3 little darlings, but most were adamant about not having more than 2. Well, if I can't move all 3 of my girls with me, then I'll just have to stay here. It's all or nothing, people! April, Kia, Kirby, and Aria are a package deal!:) Of course, none of that is even relevant until I can get a job down there. There's several area Starbucks I could work at, and I'm also looking into grad school at FAU. All in all, I could definitely see myself living there within a year or so. But, we'll see. Upcoming events: January 14 & 15- the Mid-Michigan Cat Fanciers' Assoc. cat show at the Lucas Co. Rec Center. Go check out all the kitties and kitty toys, and look for Kia in the household pets division! This will be her second show, and I hope she has a little more fun than at the last one. (It was her first time, so she was very nervous.) Also, I'm doing another Cinderella prelim on Jan. 22 at the Toledo Hilton. If I win my division, I'll be eligible for states again in May! (And, God-willing, go to nationals again this summer in Vegas!) Well, it's quittin' time, so off I sign. Drop a comment, drop a line! (There! Like my little mini-poem?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home